Amy C. Brown
Ford O’Brien Landy LLP
275 Madison Avenue
New York, New York 10016
Areas Of Practice
- Litigation and Regulatory Compliance
- Businesses in Complex Commercial Disputes
- White Collar Regulatory and Criminal Investigations
Ms. Brown is an experienced litigator who represents individuals and businesses in complex commercial disputes and in white collar regulatory and criminal investigations. Over the course of her career, Ms. Brown has handled a broad range of commercial litigations involving employment disputes, breach of contract, tortious interference with contract, breach of fiduciary duty, business and partnership disputes, misappropriation of trade secrets, professional malpractice, false advertising and defamation. In the white collar arena, Ms. Brown has represented clients in actions and investigations concerning securities fraud, wire and mail fraud, money laundering, bid-rigging and violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA).
Ms. Brown has significant state and federal courtroom experience, together with experience leading arbitrations before FINRA, AAA and JAMS. Ms. Brown also has achieved appellate victories for her clients in circuit courts around the country. Outside the courtroom, Ms. Brown is adept at conducting internal investigations arising in both the civil and criminal context.
In addition to her 20 years of experience in private practice, Ms. Brown previously worked as an Assistant United States Attorney for the District of Connecticut, where she prosecuted violent crimes, complex drug crimes, and money laundering offenses. Ms. Brown was a designated prosecutor for the Organized Crime and Drug Enforcement Task Force, in which capacity she single-handedly prosecuted large-scale drug operations. Ms. Brown also actively participated in community outreach programs, presenting lectures to both parents and children at high schools across the State of Connecticut about the dangers of opiate use.
- New York University School of Law, New York, New York
- J.D. – 1999
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Honors: Order of the Coif
- Associate Editor, Law Review
- Boston University
- B.A. – 1996
- Honors: summa cum laude
- Honors: With Distinction
- New York
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court District of Connecticut
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- Secured Eleventh Circuit victory for Dr. Craig Wright, also known as Satoshi Nakamoto, in appeal from jury verdict finding that Dr. Wright was not the business partner of an individual whose Estate was claiming entitlement to Dr. Wright’s multi-billion-dollar bitcoin fortune.
- Successfully guided coal company through FCPA investigation by DOJ, which declined to prosecute company following self-disclosure of bribery scheme between company employees and Egyptian agents.
- Represented 96 hedge fund investors in lawsuit against fund’s service providers, achieving favorable settlements with fund’s auditor, prime broker, and administrator.
- Won multi-million-dollar FINRA arbitration award against major financial institution on behalf of former, senior commodities trader who contended that he was improperly terminated for cause.
- Successfully defended major financial institution in AAA arbitration commenced by former managing director seeking multi-million-dollar award under firm’s equity compensation plan.
- Successfully defended major financial institution in FINRA arbitration commenced by competitor bank, which sought multi-million-dollar award for raiding and breach of promise to purchase $300 million loan portfolio.
- Won multi-million-dollar award on behalf of Colombian financial institution in NASD arbitration against major financial institution.
- Negotiated favorable settlement for Hollywood actress against major financial institution that improperly supervised investment advisor’s handling of her account.
Past Employment Positions
- Paul Weiss Rifkind Wharton & Garrison, LLP, Litigation Associate
- Skadden Arps Slate Meagher & Flom, LLP, White Collar Crime Associate
- Freidman Kaplan Seiler & Adelman, LLP, Partner
- U.S. Attorney’s Office, District of Connecticut, Assistant U.S. Attorney
- Spears Manning & Martini, LLP, Counsel