Robert S. Landy
Ford O’Brien Landy LLP
275 Madison Avenue
New York, New York 10016
Areas Of Practice
- Internal and Regulatory Investigations
- Judgment Enforcement
- Complex Commercial Litigation
Robert is an experienced litigator who regularly represents individual clients in connection with regulatory and white-collar criminal investigations, as well as individuals and businesses in complex commercial litigation involving claims of improper conduct in the course of competition.
Litigation between competitors often involves an array of interconnected legal theories, including theft of trade secrets, false advertising, challenging and enforcing non-compete clauses, copyright infringement, tortious interference with contract, unfair competition and other business torts. Robert has successfully prosecuted and defended against such claims in federal and state courts as well as in arbitration. Robert also advises clients on pre-litigation strategies and litigation avoidance.
Robert is the Managing Partner of the firm's commercial litigation practice.
• Served as lead counsel represented 107 investors in an EB-5 program seeking to recover more than $55 million in lost capital.
• Served as lead counsel representing a large foreign bank in an action alleging violation of the Antiterrorism Act.
• Served as lead counsel representing a doctor and nine members of an ICU's medical staff in three separate actions against a hospital and its parent organization whose false allegations resulted in the doctor being indicted for 25 counts of murder, for which he was ultimately acquitted.
• Represented a Washington D.C. think tank in connection with allegations of violation of Foreign Agents Registration Act.
• Served as lead counsel in numerous matters involving financing agreements, high-value contract disputes, and business divorces.
• Represented several individuals in connection with a confidential regulatory investigation.
• Represented two financial-industry executives against a former employer seeking to enforce restrictive covenants/non-compete agreements and claiming a theft of trade secrets in an expedited federal litigation.
• Represented multiple investors accused of violating Section 16(b) rules on short-swing profits.
• Served as appellate counsel in a matter involving a multi-million dollar brokerage claim.
• Represented healthcare industry client seeking to enforce restrictive covenants in a corporate raiding case.
• Represented magazine publisher in an action to collect a $62 million judgment.
• Represented a software company and its principal in defense of copyright, breach of contract, and unfair competition claims.
• Represented a group of more than 90 investors in three jointly-managed hedge funds in an action against the funds' administrators, auditor, and prime broker.
• Represented a top-tier university and a member of its faculty in a defense of defamation and copyright claims brought by a former professor.
• Represented a defendant clothing designer in a suit brought by a former consultant in connection with an alleged oral partnership agreement.
• Represented a private investigation company and its principal in defense of privacy violation claims brought by the target of an investigation.
• Represented an investment manager in defense of a petition for pre-action discovery.
• Represented a small business in its efforts to enforce a restrictive covenant against a former independent contractor.
Robert is a member of the New York State Bar Association’s Commercial and Federal Litigation Section and serves on its Committee on the Commercial Division.
Robert has lectured and written on topics relating to hedge fund litigation and expert discovery under the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure.
Robert obtained his law degree from the New York University School of Law with the honors of magna cum laude and Order of the Coif. Robert was selected by Super Lawyers as a Rising Star for litigation in the New York metro area in each of 2014, 2015 and 2016.
Prior to joining Ford O'Brien Landy LLP, Robert practiced litigation for more than twelve years at Sullivan & Cromwell LLP and Friedman Kaplan Seiler & Adelman LLP and later as a sole practitioner.
Robert is a native New Yorker. He was raised on 25th Street on the east side of Manhattan and attended Hunter College Elementary and High School. He spent four years at the University of Wisconsin where he obtained a B.A. in political science. After graduation, Robert served in the United States Peace Corps in Kyrgyzstan (a former Soviet republic).
- New York University School of Law, New York, New York
- J.D. - 2004
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Honors: Order of the Coif
- University of Wisconsin, Wisconsin
- B.A. - 1998
- Major: Political Science
- New York
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit
Past Employment Positions
- Sullivan & Cromwell LLP, Litigation Associate, 09/2004 to 08/2007
- Friedman Kaplan Seiler & Adelman LLP, Litigation Associate, 09/2007 to 06/2014
- United States Peace Corps, Kyrgyzstan
Honors & Awards
- Selected to New York Super Lawyers and Rising Stars - 2014 - 2016 (Rising Stars) and 2021 - Present (Super Lawyers)