Robert S. Landy
Robert S. Landy is an experienced litigator who regularly represents clients in connection with complex commercial litigation in Federal and State Courts, arbitration, judgment enforcement, and internal and regulatory investigations. Robert also advises clients on pre-litigation strategies and litigation avoidance.
In recent matters, Robert has:
- Served as lead counsel in numerous matters involving financing agreements, high-value contract disputes and business divorces;
- Served as lead counsel representing several individuals in connection with a confidential regulatory investigation;
- Served as lead counsel for two financial-industry executives against a former employer seeking to enforce restrictive covenants/non-compete agreements and claiming a theft of trade secrets in an expedited federal litigation;
- Represented multiple investors accused of violating Section 16(b) rules on short-swing profits;
- Served as appellate counsel in a matter involving a multi-million dollar brokerage claim;
- Served as lead counsel to a healthcare industry client seeking to enforce restrictive covenants in a corporate raiding case;
- Served as lead counsel for a magazine publisher in an action to collect a $62 million judgment;
- Served as lead counsel for a software company and its principal in defense of copyright, breach of contract and unfair competition claims;
- Represented a group of more than 90 investors in three jointly-managed hedge funds in an action against the funds’ administrators, auditor and prime broker;
- Represented a top-tier university and a member of its faculty in a defense of defamation and copyright claims brought by a former professor;
- Served as lead counsel for a defendant clothing designer in a suit brought by a former consultant in connection with an alleged oral partnership agreement;
- Represented a private investigation company and its principal in defense of privacy violation claims brought by the target of an investigation;
- Represented an investment manager in defense of a petition for pre-action discovery; and
- Served as lead counsel representing a small business in its efforts to enforce a restrictive covenant against a former independent contractor.
Robert is a member of the New York State Bar Association’s Commercial and Federal Litigation Section and serves on its Committee on the Commercial Division.
Robert has lectured and written on topics relating to hedge fund litigation and expert discovery under the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure.
Robert obtained his law degree from the New York University School of Law with the honors of magna cum laude and Order of the Coif. Robert was selected by Super Lawyers as a Rising Star for litigation in the New York metro area in each of 2014, 2015 and 2016.
Prior to joining Ford O’Brien LLP, Robert practiced litigation for more than twelve years at Sullivan & Cromwell LLP and Friedman Kaplan Seiler & Adelman LLP and later as a sole practitioner.
Robert is a native New Yorker. He was raised on 25th Street on the east side of Manhattan and attended Hunter College Elementary and High School. He spent four years at the University of Wisconsin where he obtained a B.A. in political science. After graduation, Robert served in the United States Peace Corps in Kyrgyzstan (a former Soviet republic).
Areas Of Practice
- Complex Commercial Litigation
- Judgment Enforcement
- Internal and Regulatory Investigations
- New York
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan
- New York University School of Law, New York, New York - 2004
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Honors: Order of the Coif
- Honors: Law Journal: Journal of International Law & Politics, Staff Editor
- University of Wisconsin
- B.A. - 1998
- Major: Political Science
- Hunter College Elementary and High School
Honors And Awards
- Selected by Super Lawyers as a Rising Star, Litigation, New York metro area, 2014 - 2016
Past Employment Positions
- Sullivan & Cromwell LLP, Litigation Associate, September 20, 2004 - August 17, 2007
- Friedman Kaplan Seiler & Adelman LLP, Litigation Associate, September 4, 2007 - June 30, 2014
- United States Peace Corps, Kyrgyzstan